Deputy Communications Director
The Deputy Communications Director assists the Colorado Senate Democratic Caucus with press, messaging, digital media strategy, and communications support. This position reports directly to the Chief of Staff. This is a salaried position (interim only) with the potential for extension and promotion based on performance. Includes benefits such as health, dental, and retirement plans.
- Respond to media inquiries and develop relationships and be in frequent communication with reporters, editors and news directors and be conversant with caucus members’ bills and policy positions, while being judicious in your communications and keeping all press conversations on background
- Pitch TV, radio, and print outlets on Colorado Senate Democrats’ legislative efforts
- Write a substantial amount of press releases with clear, clean, concise and above all accurate prose under deadline pressure in the high-energy, fast-paced atmosphere of the legislative session, which runs from January to the first week of May
- Review articles, research papers, and data from our policy team for press and digital content opportunities
- Publish website pages and blog posts (WordPress platform)
- Create, edit and distribute video that advances the messages and goals of the Colorado Senate Democratic caucus
- Be adept at Twitter, Facebook, and other social media; additional experience with creating graphics preferred
- Excellent research and writing skills
- Experience pitching and working with press
- Track record of securing earned media coverage (experience working with elected officials, candidates, and/or political organizations strongly preferred)
- Knowledge of social media use for organizations and businesses
- Proficient in blogging platforms & basic html (additional web design & development experience strongly preferred)
- Graphic design proficiency not required but strongly preferred (please include a portfolio if this is part of your skillset)
- College degree is not required. If you have a strong track record and good instincts, we want to hear from you!
- Strong interest in state-level and/or Colorado politics
Bonus points will be awarded for:
- Sufficient fluency in spoken and written Spanish to fully engage Colorado’s Spanish-language press corps
- An employment history that includes government, public policy or political campaign work
- Journalism experience
Salary will be commensurate with experience.
To apply: Send a resume, cover letter, and portfolio if you’ve got one (link or attachments) to email@example.com with the subject line “Deputy Communications Director.”